Two years ago, the New York Rangers hoisted the white flag of surrender to all. The Broadway Blueshirts admitted it was time to cut payroll, gut the roster and totally rebuild from the front office down to the minor leagues. Last year was a throwaway year for New York with the NHL betting lines. However, this year there are signs that the Rangers may be ready to make a post season bid. For the New Jersey Devils the pressure of climbing back into playoff status is large after their massive fall back to the pack in 2018-19. But the start of the new season has been ominous.
Betcris offers play-by-play betting odds for live sporting events every day! The user-friendly wagering interface on your smartphone provides an easy way to place bets on the go. Mobile betting lines are updated by the minute, so click here to start gambling on thrilling live action at Betcris!
- When: Thursday, October 17, 2019, 7 p.m. ET
- Where: Prudential Center, Newark, New Jersey
- Rangers Vs. Devils NHL Betting Odds at Betcris: Check Back Later
- Rangers Vs. Devils TV Coverage: NBCSN
New York Rangers Vs. New Jersey Devils Betting Analysis
The betting public is going to be a lot more turned off by New Jersey then turned on by the Rangers. There is a wait and see approach with New York thus far. But the Devils are becoming a go against team with the public that was completely turned off by their terrible performance last season.
New York Rangers
To begin the NHL season New York posted two wins in their first three games with two of the three contests going under the total. In particular the Rangers power play was impressive as it clicked at a 33% rate. Center Mika Zibanejad was on fire to start the year with four goals and four assists to go with a plus three. He scored the hat trick in a 4-1 win over the Ottawa Senators. This is no accident as the Swede is coming off a career best 30 goals in 2018-19. The one holdover from the rebuild is veteran goaltender Henrik Lundqvist. King Henrik has been a question in the early going with a .904 save percentage with 3.54 goals against average.
New Jersey Devils
New Jersey failed to win in its first five games and was godawful in the process. The Devils ranked 30th in the NHL for goal scoring and 28th for goals against.
Number one netminder Cory Schneider has been hit and miss so far with a .897 save percentage and 3.33 goals against average. Backup Mackenzie Blackwood has been terrible with an .821 save percentage and 4.90 goals against average.
New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils vs. the Odds
The Rangers are:
- 4-9 in their last 13 away games
- 4-7-1 under the total on the road
- 12-8 in their last 20 meetings with New Jersey
- 12-4-4 over the total head to head with the Devils
- 7-13 on the road agiasnt Metropolitan Division teams
- 10-4 over the total at the Metropolitan Division
The Devils are:
- 3-8 in their last 11 games at home
- 6-10 under the total at Prudential Center
- 12-8 on home ice against the Rangers
- 14-3-3 over the total at Prudential Center vs. New York
- 10-9 at Prudential Center against the Metropolitan Division
- 5-8-1 under the total when hosting Metropolitan Division teams
New Jersey is a difficult sell with the NHL betting lines. True this is a rivalry matchup but their level of play has been so pathetic that the Rangers are the better play, especially as a road team where the price will be lower.
- New York Rangers vs. New Jersey Devils NHL Odds Best Bet: New York Rangers
- New York Rangers vs. New Jersey Devils NHL Odds Score Prediction: Rangers 4, Devils 2
Check out our sports videos to get the latest news and game analysis, and don't forget to like and subscribe.