In 2018 the Washington Capitals finally exorcised all demons and won the first Stanley Cup in franchise history. What was most ironic about the accomplishment is that after many times failing as a favorite with the NHL betting lines the Caps won the championship as underdogs. Following their triumph head coach Bruce Boudreau departed for the New York Islanders after the Caps failed to extend him in season and were likely to fire him. Filling the spot behind the bench was Boudreau’s top assistant Todd Reirden. Play slipped last year, especially on the back end. Last spring it was the St. Louis Blues that filed the void as a Cinderella Stanley Cup champion. And unlike the Caps the Note re-signed head coach Craig Berube.
Betcris offers play-by-play NHL betting odds for live sporting events every day! The user-friendly wagering interface on your smartphone provides an easy way to place bets on the go. Mobile betting lines are updated by the minute, so click here to start gambling on thrilling live action at Betcris!
Washington Capitals vs. St. Louis Blues
- When: Wednesday, October 2, 2019, 8 p.m. ET
- Where: Enterprise Center. St. Louis, Missouri
- Capitals Vs. Blues NHL Betting Odds at Betcris: Check Back Later
- Capitals Vs. Blues TV Coverage: NBCSN
Capitals Vs. Blues Betting Analysis
Betting action should be even on both teams. They are the last two Stanley Cup champions with relatively large followings and name recognition. In fact, each team has been a long-time perennial cup contender. Home ice may sway betting dollars to the Blues while superstar Alex Ovechkin will draw cash to the Caps.
Washington finished last season with a record of 48-26-7-1 but was not nearly as impressive as its championship team of the prior season. Most noticeably the Caps loosened up on the back end, much to their demise. Washington ranked fifth in the NHL for goal scoring. Offsetting that was a defense that ranked 17th in the league for goals against. Even more concerning was the drop of special team production. Washington ranked 24th for penalty killing and 12th for the power play.
St. Louis Blues
Last year the Blues had a remarkable story in which they had the worst record in the entire NHL on New Year’s Day only to rally to make the playoffs and win the Stanley Cup as an underdog. Adding to the story was that their goaltending hero, Jordan Binnington, was called up from the minor leagues where he was playing on loan, likely in his last season before calling it quits. Instead he caught fire and became the goalie that the Blues have spent decades looking for. St. Louis, like Washington, won the first Stanley Cup in the history of their franchise.
The Capitals are:
- 3-5 in their last eight away games
- 3-4 under the total on the road
- 5-2 in their last seven games against the Blues
- 7-2 over the total in their series with St. Louis
- 2-6 on the road at Western Conference teams
- 6-3 over the total on the road at Western Conference opponents
The Blues are:
- 5-3 in their last eight home games
- 5-1 over the total when playing at Enterprise Center
- 2-5 in their last seven home games with the Caps
- 4-0 over the total when hosting Washington
- 8-2 at the Enterprise Center vs. Eastern Conference teams
- 6-0 over the total when hosting teams from the Eastern Conference
In this situation the Capitals will likely bring superior NHL betting lines as the road team. This is a relatively even matchup and the Caps have shown the ability to get the money at Enterprise Center. Another big question is how the Blues will handle being Stanley Cup champions. They will not be catching anyone off guard this year. Washington should be a better and more determine team for 2019-20.
Capitals vs. Blues NHL Odds Best Bet Washington Capitals
Check out our sports videos to get the latest news and game analysis, and don't forget to like and subscribe.